I travel a fair amount. This year, I’ve been to Europe and Latin America (and not to count various trips within Canada & the US). What surprises most people about my travel is that I travel almost exclusively in a small carry-on suitcase. Yup, you read that correctly. I travel very light. Whether it is 2 weeks in London or a week in Mexico City, I can do almost everything from the confines of a tiny little carry-on bag… And almost never wear the same thing twice.
So what are my tips – and tricks? I thought I’d share:
- Pick clothes in one palette for the entire trip. For me, I start with the shoes. I pick one pair and go with that color scheme for the entire trip. This means I only have to pack one pair of shoes (huge space saver!) and helps me focus on what clothes I actually wear. Bringing one cardigan that will go with everything, for example, is a super easy thing to pack – or wear on the plane – rather than two or three in different colors. Black is my standard go-to because you can also pair black with gray.
- Stock up on sample size toiletries from your favourite brands. Kiehl’s is one of my favourites and they always give away free samples with a purchase. I often have a week’s worth of shampoo and conditioner samples in compact envelopes ready to go.
- I always pack my carry-on in a rolling bag that can be easily maneuvered around the airport. Don’t tell anyone – Sssh – but I normally travel with my large Longchamp bag (which can be collapsed to fit under the seat in front of you if need be and act as a purse) AND my rolling carry-on bag. This way if I buy something that can’t come in the cabin on the way home (hello, wine) I can wrap it up and check the bag.
- In my “purse”, I always carry an actual purse for the trip. It’s easy, pack your normal purse inside your larger one, throw in your iPad and headphones, and a comfy scarf and you’ll be ready to go.
- Yes, I often travel home internationally with wine (checked, of course) here’s how:
How to pack #wine for your #suitcase – the #DiaperMethod! Even if the wine breaks, still does not get all over your clothes. #TravelTips #travel #WineAddict #JetSetter #UglyCarpet A video posted by AmandaEffie (@amanda_effie) on
- Go to Muji, get their small see-thru zipper bags for your cosmetics. You’re welcome.
- You do not need three pairs of pyjamas for a week. Unless you’re going to have wild romance with a new lover for a week, that is… And if that’s the case, you don’t need clothes.
- I rarely travel with a laptop anymore, just my iPad and a collapsable keyboard. Saves lots of space and the hassle of the security agents checking your computer at security.
Hopefully those help you pack light on your next trip! If you’re curious, I also gathered all the stuff I actually travel with here, check them out!
Also? I’ve never had jet lag. Some call me lucky, I call me practiced. Here are my top tricks: