One evening, in a hormonal bout of tears because a certain pair of skinny jeans didn’t fit (this had nothing to do with premenstrual bloating, or the premenstrual cake I consumed…), I stepped on the scale. Editor’s note: Do. Not. Do. This.
Much to my horror, I was well beyond my “heaviest” weight and lightyears away from last summer, when I weighed in at my typical “goal weight”. I can still remember my smug remarks when the skinniest of skinnies and the slim fitting dresses were to big. Ha! How quickly the tides can change. Now, I was fighting into my slouchy, oversized denim – which was no longer very slouchy or oversized.
Every woman has a comfort level with her own body. Many women are comfortable, proud, enthusiastic, and able-bodied with no correlation to their jean size. For me, my body had become uncomfortable. I was not proud of what I had done to it – I had let my body down. I hadn’t been feeding it properly, nourishing it, or taking it on regular walks.
Now, summer is upon me. After a few weeks of trial (green juice!) and error (chili cheese dog!), I am quite proudly four pounds down. Here are the changes I’ve made so far:
- I drink water and tea. Sometimes, I add green tea bags to my water for flavor – but that’s it. Water, and cups of tea (hey – I’m not giving up my Breakfast Blend. That would be savage…) have replaced sodas, juices, iced tea, and smoothies. I will try a green juice from time to time, but I treat those as a treat!
- I did not give up wine. That would be unsafe. I am enjoying one glass at a time, probably 3-4 times a week. It is such a treat!!
- I enjoy carbs, starches and grains with two meals a day. It might be oatmeal for breakfast and pasta for dinner, but then I balance with a salad for lunch. If I have fruit for breakfast, I might have a small sandwich for lunch and a potato for dinner.
- I have filled my home with healthy things, and banished the bad (even the British Kit-Kats I had smuggled into the country). Fruit, vegetables, whole grains, and healthy options.
- I try to grocery shop every 2-3 days. At first, this felt crazy! But now I pick up what I want – fresh – and I don’t get stuck with a mid-week craving for cookie dough.
- I walk every day! I try to walk around my neighborhood lake, which it about a mile from door-to-door. Sometimes I walk around the mall….
- I try to have one good “workout” every week – an hour at the gym, an at-home yoga video, etc.
- Here is my menu for today:
- Breakfast: Whole Foods “Greens with Envy” juice (normally I advocate for breakfast, but this morning I overslept and grabbed the juice on my way out! Fear not – lunch was only about 2 hours later)
- Lunch: 8 oz organic tomato soup, whole wheat bread with 2 oz melted high-quality cheddar
- Dinner: Sesame ginger chicken, stir fried vegetables
- Exercise: 30 minute yoga video
I am tracking my progress using My Fitness Pal, and if you’re using it too, let’s connect! I don’t always love to count calories, but it keep me accountable and helps me to make healthy choices. I want to feel proud and comfortable in my own skin, and so far, so good!