A few months ago, a co-worker was admiring my handbag (the LK Bennett Kiki tote) and saying she was interested in acquiring one similar to it. She asked to see the inside to take a peek at the number of pockets there were and since every woman knows the number of pockets inside a purse is a critical piece of information, and I was happy to share.
While showing her the pockets, she started to give me a strange look before asking me “… have you ever been on a survival TV show with only my purse as supplies because you could literally solve any problem known to mankind with the contents of that handbag”. I knew I had a lot of things in my bag, but did I really qualify as a survival television show contestant? I am the first to admit that my purse is a highly organized area – it does contain a purse organizer – but was I really any different than most other women?
I decided to take some time out and look through everything in my bag to determine if I needed it or not. While I removed some things (two packs of hand wipes, three bottles of hand sanitizers and eight pens), I did keep lots of it in. So just what is in my bag?
- Rebecca Minkoff “Beach House Fund” Bag – perfect for coins, coupons and other small slips to keep them all none spot and not floating around in my bag
- Altoids Mini Tin – small yet effective for last minute meetings and when you just need a pick-me-up
- Fresh Sugar Rosé Lip Balm – A perfect amount of moisturizer and color
- Bumble & Bumble Hairdresser’s Oil – Tames flyaways, controls frizz and also smells good if your hair needs a refresh
- Business Cards – We use Moo cards for our business and I always have them with me, you never know who you’re going to meet!
- Skull Candy Headphones – Since I throw these in and out of my purse, they need to be small and compact. These are a great cheap option when you find them on sale!
- Aveda Stress Relief – I get my hair cut at Aveda salons and have to admit I may keep going back because of the smell. This is a de-stress version that’s great for taking a breather
- Fresh Sugar Lip Balm – My favorite lip balm that is well well well worth the cost. Trust.
- Solar Balm – Perfect for cuticles, dry spots and nails. Saves me thousands in manicure bills
- Whitney English Mini Day Designer – I can not remember anything unless it’s written down
- Wet Ones Antibacterial Wipes – I have a toddler and a germ aversion, these are a must
- Crabtree & Evelyn Moisturizer – Not so much in love with the brand as much as the great small size of these for practicality. L’Occitane also has great sizes
- Harrods Mini Umbrella – When you live in the Pacific Northwest as I do, an umbrella is a near daily need
- Ray Ban Glasses – For the days it’s not raining…
- iPad and Case – I mostly carry the iPad for if I have a quiet moment to catch up on any of the number of books I store on it.
- LK Bennett Wallet – Practical and matches my bag
- Muji Pens – My favourite pen. Ever.
- Laura Mercier Smooth Finish Compact – Perfect for touchups and a handy mirror
- ASOS Oversize scarf – I keep a scarf with me at all times (rolled in a small roll or folded in the bag) as I have a tendency to be cold
- Not shown… Morphie battery pack (One never wants to be without iPhone power!), iPhone, BlackBerry (yes, I have two phones), pill case (I carry Tylenol, Advil and other OTC medicine so I’m not rushing around looking for them last minute), Kleenex, Trader Joes cereal bars, a stash of bobby pins and hair elastics and a small nail kit.
Tell me – do I carry way too much in my bag?