A few weeks ago, we were featured as guest bloggers over on the Glitter Diaries where we shared three ideas for a very refined halloween costume. You know, so you don’t have to go as sexy witch, cat, wench, barmaid, etc… We shared ideas on Holly Golightly’s refined nightwear, a feminist icon and legendary computer villain Carmen Sandiego.
But now that we’re the day before Halloween, we presume you already have your refined costumes ready to go. You’ve searched, you’ve scoured and you’ve sourced unique, elegant and sophisticated costumes and are ready to enjoy your All Hallows Eve. (No costume yet? Here are our last year’s Last Minute DIY costumes for inspiration) So why are we still talking about Halloween? Because this is where the real fun comes into it – how to host a sophisticated Halloween.
So how can you celebrate a sophisticated Halloween? Here are our top tips:
- If you are hosting a party, there are hundreds (if not thousands) of examples of how you can decorate, but to amp up the sophistication, we like to stick with one overall colour theme. Black and gold, for example, where you would include pumpkins covered in gold and black accessories like these black silhouette crows.
- Serving beverages? There are labels that you can use to jazz up your drink offerings. You can also add in cute touches to your barware by serving your delicious cocktails with sophisticated touches like bone cocktail stirrers, bottle openers or jiggers.
- Decorating your home? I love to decorate for holidays, but the volume of cheap, tacky and otherwise inappropriate decorations out there are enough to make one’s head spin! Staying true to classic touches like pumpkins and a one colour theme can help you go from tasteless to refined. I like to decorate around the whole house too, including the kitchen with kitchen towels that tie in to your theme or in your living room with a skeleton bust (although I’d remove the hat) and some small skeleton head candles.
- Hosting a dinner or serving appetizers? Your table can be made festive with small touches like a black web table runner, vintage style Halloween plates or you can present your very sophisticated menu on actual menu cards.
- Outdoor decorating? If you are planning on inflating a giant pumpkin, vampire or ghost on your front lawn, you are not thinking sophisticated Halloween. Sophisticated outdoor decorations include pumpkins and some small lights to let trick-or-treaters know you are open for business. Like these kerosene-style lamps. And light those pumpkins in style with Halloween vintage style matchbooks!
It doesn’t have to cost an arm & a leg for decorations, although if you buy the right decorations, they can be used over and over again and become part of a cherished annual tradition. If you’re short on budget for decorations, you can still hit up your local dollar store, just remember to stick to your colour theme. There is an overwhelming amount of stuff that can be thrown at you in a few short aisles so stay strong!
Friends, even as refined and sophisticated adults, it’s fun – and refreshing – to let your hair down and have fun sometimes. And it’s a luxury of being alive, having fun! So tell us all about your Halloween plans. What are you up to tomorrow? What are you wearing?