As the lazy days of summer stretch into their laziest and longest period, I find myself both excited at my upcoming holidays down the Oregon coast – and stressed at the sheer amount of work that has to be done before that time. Where has the summer gone?
What this summer definitely did do for me was make it even more clear that while I am a creature of habit most of the time, there is allure and value in taking on the risk of trying something outside your comfort zone. Be it smaller (I painted my toes neon) or larger (I started eating breakfast every morning) gestures, what good is life if you never try something new? And if you’re looking to try something new… But tried and tested by a reputable blogger? Well, you’re in the right place.
Here are all of the things I simply can not live without right now.
- On my last trip to Paris, I discovered my obsession with Diptyque could go to a whole new level with their Art du Soin skincare line. I’ve now incorporated their scrub and face cleaner into my daily regime and have not even forgotten to take my make-up off once since I love the rose smell so much I look forward to it. Visit one of their stores and they will give you very good sized samples to take him and try! (No store nearby? Click here for a small size kit you can purchase)
- My office is notoriously bad for temperature control – it’s either freezing or a sauna… Every time of the year. It’s why I constantly have sweaters in my car and this summer upgraded my style look to include a lightweight scarf in a bright blue colour that can be draped across my shoulders when the A/C turns up. Much better than wearing the same gray cardigan day after day!
- Bad news – I’ve not been able to curb my Diet Coke addiction. I’ve cut back to not have it every single day, but is there anything better than a nice cold glass on a summer day? Cutting back will be something I really work on this fall.
- Back in June, I had the metal removed from my ankle surgery and have been sticking to flats while the swelling subsides. Since I normally wear heels, I am pleased that this summer was the season of the flat and went and bought myself a couple of pairs to wear – including the Tory Burch Eddie ballet flat which is the perfect colour to go with everything, super comfortable and also very classy without the big logo on them that I dislike on her normal flats. Best purchase ever.
- I bought a Vitamix earlier this summer and have used it every single morning (which was the prerequisite to husband allowing me to purchase a $600 blender) happily to make nutritious smoothies. You can check out my favourite smoothie recipe too – guaranteed to start your morning off right!
- Every bathing suit I have ever owned has been black. Whether I’ve been feeling skinny or fat, I have always believed that a bathing suit is the time you want to use the slimming colour. Surprisingly, I may have been missing out on quite a bit now that I went wild and bought a red one piece for my upcoming trip. Not going to lie, I feel a little like a Baywatch lifeguard (which is never a bad thing on a beach)
- Summer is the time of year for weekend getaways and I can now do that in style thanks to my Longchamp overnight bag. It’s durable being mostly made of tough canvas, but has leather trim which classes it up and takes it from duffel to overnight bag. Plus, it’s big enough to handle multiple pairs of shoes…
- I had not worn neon since the early 90s and have to say that I was surprised to fall in love with neon pink again – although this time worn on my toes after a fresh pedicure.
- And lastly, while I’ve never really been all that into music, lately I can’t seem to put down my headphones. I’m not sure if it’s just a fresh new playlist or my fresh new Frends Ella headphones I got in my Nina Garcia #NGQ03 Quarterly box, but you can often find me grooving to my current most-played song, Shower by Becky G. And since the extremely catchy song is being belted out by yours truly at the exact time of this writing, it’s only fair I leave you with the clip.
I hope you’ve found something this summer to light you up like the 4th of July!