I often feel that my make-up drawer is overwhelmingly full. Full of products I use only occasionally (Hello MAC pink glitter eyeshadow), products I aspired to use but never figured out (Hello Laura Mercier eyeliner) and products that I thought would be amazing but sucked (Hello too many to count)
The most entertaining part of my full makeup drawer is that I take only a handful of products with me when I travel, and when I was thinking about it today, I discovered that these are really the only products I actually use. My beauty regimen consists not of the bottles, potions, containers and jars full of stuff that occupy an entire large, very large drawer in my home but that can travel with me in a tiny makeup bag when I’m not at home.
So here are my beauty must-haves, the “holy grail” if you will…
- Laura Mercier Secret Finish – Mattifying: This stuff works to ensure your oily skin does not meet the light of day by pretty much creating a matte finish for your makeup to sit on top of. I’ve used it for years, but especially in the summer months when your skin has a tendency to become oily from the heat/humidity.
- MoroccanOil: Yup, it’s a cult favourite for a reason. I first and foremost love the smell and the fact that it smoothes frizz, adds shine and is supposed to be repairing my hair at the same time is amazing.
- Nars the Multiple in Portofino: I’ve used Nars blush for years in powder form with Orgasm but I recently found that it was still a little too shimmery for my taste and especially in a conservative office environment. I swapped to the Multiple, a large pen-type device that smoothes out the product and love the easy, natural look. Portofino has no shimmer and is a perfect flattering pink colour.
- Shu Uemura Eyelash Curler: I’m obsessed with my eyelashes – if you’ve seen me without mascara, you know I really love you. There are lots of eyelash curlers out there, but this is the ne plus ultra for a very good reason. It curls perfectly, gets all the little corner lashes and doesn’t pinch. Worth every penny.
- Yu-Be Moisturizing Skin Cream: I found this in Hong Kong when my lips were dry and a colleague recommended it to me. This stuff will heal the craziest dry skin or lips and it’s all in one tube. It’s like Vaseline on steroids.
- Bumble & Bumble Thickening Hairspray: I include this because I love all Bumble and Bumble products. One can do no wrong with them. My current love is their Thickening Hairspray which creates great hold and even if you have thick hair already, just creates good texture to have your hair stay in place.
- Diptyque Figuier: I go nowhere and see no one without this.
- DJV Beautenizer Fiberwig Mascara: As I said, I’m obsessed with my eyelashes and this is my creme de la creme mascara. It’s waterproof, sweatproof and tearproof (wore it at my own wedding, scuba diving years and years ago as well as while giving birth) Try it, you won’t regret it.
- Sugar Rosé Lip Treatment: It’s got SPF in it, a subtle color and a great smell (I’m apparently all about smell… Hmmm…) Great everyday lip balm
- Laura Mercier Creme Brûlée Hand Cream: My favorite dessert is creme brûlée, and thereis nothing sweeter than a calorie free way to feel like you’re eating it. Heavenly and very moisturizing as well
- Laura Mercier Undereye Secret Concealer: Covers up those dark circles from late nights perfectly.
Also on my list, but not pictured:
- Anastasia Beverly Hills Eyebrow Kit: One can look no more polished than with a well groomed eyebrow, which this kit practically guarantees
- Guerlain Liquid Eyeliner: When I do wear eyeliner, this is the perfect bottle for easy use. The liquid is well blended, the brush is easy to use and it’s great quality.
- Laura Mercier Eye Basics: It’s like a blank canvas for your eyelids for whatever shadow you use. I’ve loved this for years since I discovered even cheap eyeshadows could work with it. I use linen shade.
What are your must-haves?