With all the made up holidays which now seem to exist, I’ve taken the perhaps ignorant stance of ignoring the vast, vast majority of them. National Thomas Crapper Day? (January 27) National Lumpy Rug Day? (May 3) National Mule Day? (October 26) Ugh. Today, however, marks a day that I can’t ignore and that I definitely feel the need to celebrate. Friends, today is National Splurge Day.
When I told a friend about this glorious holiday last week, she bemoaned that she wouldn’t be able to participate as she was broke at the moment. While I admit that the first thing that comes to most people’s minds with splurges is money and shopping, National Splurge Day can be celebrated in all kinds of ways not including money as well.
Let’s start out with some of the things I would splurge on if there was “National Will Not Show Up On Your VISA Bill” day combined with National Splurge Day.
Next, you can always splurge on spas, mani/pedis, etc. You don’t even need to go to the spa if you don’t have the time or cash to do so – splurging can be turning the lights down low in your bathroom, putting on some music and relaxing in the bathtub while the world whizzes by outside. Or it can be purchasing a new bottle of nail polish to brighten up your toes. Splurging on taking time out of your busy schedule to pamper yourself can be just as rewarding – if not more so- than many other splurges.
- Oprah shares how to do your own at-home manicure
- 8 Do-It-Yourself Home Facials
- At Home Spa Treatments
Some of my favorite nail polishes for 2013:
Maybe you’re relaxed and freshly pedicured. You can splurge by having a delicious piece of cheesecake at dinner rather than your normal fat-free cheesecake flavored yogurt. Or if you’re not eating carbs, take advantage of the day to treat yourself to a delicious portion of spaghetti. Besides, people who indulge in the occasional diet splurge lose more weight overall than those who don’t. If you really won’t budge from your diet (You go, girl) you can splurge by buying some all organic delicious berries which are just coming into season.
- I adore chocolate cheesecake. NomNom has a great recipe for Dark Chocolate Cheesecake
- I also adore pasta. Homemade pasta even more amazing. Bald and the Beautiful has a great recipe
Some of my other favorite food indulgences:
Let’s say you are already relaxed and freshly pedicured and you already buy organic berries. You can splurge on spending some time with a friend or family member which you normally wouldn’t. Maybe it’s a Facetime conversation with your best friend who lives far away or a coffee with your mom. Splurging with your time is not only priceless, but refined.
OK, OK… Let’s say you’re relaxed, freshly pedicured, buying organic berries and you saw your entire social network in the last 24 hours. First of all, are you Martha Stewart? I kid, I kid… But you should still find some way, some personal way of taking some time today to splurge on yourself. Some of my ideas?
- Take off from work 10 minutes early and stop in for a quiet coffee before picking up your child from school
- Convince your significant other that you desperately need a foot rub or you will spontaneously combust
- Clean out the inside of your purse so you can easily find things in the future – having a clean and organized purse will make you feel like a million bucks
- Order a small tube of your favorite scent in the matching hand cream
- Start a Pinterest board about an ultimate splurge you’re saving up for (Mine is a beach house!)
Whatever you do, celebrate National Splurge Day… And let us know how you did!